Health Benefits of Walnuts: Walnuts are often associated with desserts like baklava, brownies, muffins, and cookies. However, walnuts are also a great addition to healthy grains, hummus, cooked vegetables, salads, and snacks.
Walnuts are not only crunchy, but they also provide important nutrients and health advantages that have been supported by science. They are an excellent source of beneficial nutrients and good fats. Additionally, they have been connected to positive benefits on blood pressure, gastrointestinal and heart health, and even male fertility.
Better still, these superfoods not only inhibit the formation of cancer but also maintain healthy brain function as you age.
Health Benefits of Walnuts – Advantages of Soaked Walnuts in water
1. High in antioxidants
- More antioxidant activity can be found in walnuts than in any other type of nut.
- Vitamin E, melatonin, and plant chemicals known as polyphenols.
- The papery skin of walnuts has a very high concentration of polyphenols.
- Antioxidants found in walnuts are very beneficial in lowering low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.
2. Excellent plant-based omega-3 supply
- Compared to other nuts, walnuts have the highest concentration of omega-3 fatty acids, with 2.5 grammes (g) per 1-ounce (oz) consumption.
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) is the name for omega-3 lipids found in plants, such as walnuts. Since it’s a necessary fat, you must obtain it from food.
- Increased dietary intake of ALA may reduce the incidence of cardiovascular diseases such heart disease and arrhythmia.
- The plant form of omega-3 fat, which can lower the risk of cardiovascular illnesses and disorders, is abundant in walnuts.
3. Could lessen swelling
- Walnut polyphenols have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties.
- Walnuts include ALA, omega-3 fats, magnesium, and the amino acid arginine, all of which can reduce inflammation.
- Nutrients and plant chemicals included in walnuts may help reduce inflammation, a major cause of many chronic illnesses.
4. Encourage gut health
- Consuming walnuts might be one method to promote gut and microbial health.
- Consuming walnuts feeds the good bacteria in your stomach as well as you. This may help lower the risk of obesity, heart disease, and cancer while also promoting intestinal health.
5. Could lower risk of certain malignancies
- Walnuts are high in ellagitannins, a kind of polyphenol, as was previously mentioned. The chemicals known as urolithins can be produced from them by certain gut microorganisms.
- Eating walnuts may help prevent colorectal cancer because urolithins have anti-inflammatory qualities in the stomach. These anti-inflammatory properties may also aid in the prevention of other malignancies.
- Walnut polyphenols may lower the risk of colon, prostate, and breast cancers, among other malignancies. More research on humans is need to find out more about this, though.
6. Encourage healthy weight control
- Additionally, consuming walnuts may aid in controlling your hunger.
- Despite the high calorie content of walnuts, you could not absorb all of their calories. They could also aid in controlling your appetite.
7. May assist in controlling and reducing the chance of type 2 diabetes
- Being overweight raises your chances of developing diabetes and high blood sugar.
- Walnuts may have effects on blood sugar regulation in addition to helping with weight management.
- By assisting in weight regulation, consuming walnut oil and walnuts may help control type 2 diabetes and lower your chance of developing the condition. Additionally, walnuts may have more immediate benefits on blood sugar management.
8. Could assist in lowering blood pressure
- One of the main risk factors for heart disease and stroke is high blood pressure.
- Consuming walnuts and other nuts on a regular basis as part of a heart-healthy diet may help lower blood pressure, according to several research.
9. Encourage ageing in a healthful manner
- Maintaining your mobility and freedom as you age depends on maintaining strong physical functioning.
- Maintaining good food habits is one thing that can assist you keep up your physical capabilities.
- Walnuts are filled with vital vitamins, minerals, fibre, lipids, and plant components, and even though they are quite heavy in calories, they may support healthy physical performance as you age.
- Walking and the ability to take care of yourself physically may be preserved as you age with the support of a walnut-rich, health-conscious diet.
10. Encourage healthy brain activity
- The walnut’s resemblance to a miniature brain may just be a coincidence, but studies indicate that walnuts may be beneficial to mental health.
- Research Verified Eating walnuts has been associated in mice with improved brain function, including enhancements in motor development, memory, learning abilities, and anxiety-related behaviour.
While these findings are promising, additional study on the impact of walnuts on human brain function is required before researchers can make any definitive conclusions.