Toasted Almond Russian Tea Cakes Recipe: Almonds that have been toasted and then coated in powdered sugar are used to make these delicate shortbread cookies.
Toasted Almond Russian Tea Cakes Recipe
These timeless sweets have been passed down through generations, and for many of us, they are the very essence of the Christmas season. You may be familiar with them as Mexican Wedding sweets, Italian Wedding Cookies, Butterballs, or Snowball Cookies. One thing that sets these straightforward shortbread drop cookies apart from others is the substantial amount of ground nuts that are included in the batter, as well as the powdered sugar that is sprinkled on top. The traditional method of preparation calls for the use of pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, or almonds, which is what I have chosen to use here. They are easy to make, full of flavor, and incredibly lovely to present or give. Melting yet crunchy at the same time, the texture is a nice combination. The dense layer of powdered sugar provides you with an explosion of sweetness that is incomparable to anything else.
- 1 cup (2 sticks, or 226g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 Tbsp confectioner’s sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup ground toasted almonds, measured after grinding (instructions for toasting below)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For the purpose of toasting the almonds, place one cup of raw almonds, with their skins still on, on a baking sheet. Toast the almonds for fifteen minutes in an oven that has been warmed, shaking the pan a couple of times while they are cooking. First, let them to cool, and then use a food processor to pulse them until they are completely pulverized and there are no larger nut chunks left. It is essential that you precisely measure out one cup of the ground nuts for this recipe; nevertheless, it is likely that you will have little more than that.
- The butter and sugar should be creamed together until they become frothy and light. The almond extract should be beaten in. It is imperative that you scrape down the sides of the mixer in order to guarantee that all of the butter has been incorporated.
- The flour and salt should be mixed together and then gradually added to the bowl while the mixer is set to a low speed. Also, incorporate the nuts into the mixture and continue to stir until the dough begins to come together. Finally, using a large spoon, finish mixing the ingredients, and then use your hands to bring the dough together. Ensure that there are no dry areas on the face.
- Using a tiny cookie scoop, portion out equal portions, and then roll them in your palms to form a round ball that is approximately one inch in diameter. Place on a cookie sheet that has not been oiled, leaving about 2 inches of space between each one, and bake for approximately 10 to 11 minutes. The cookies will continue to have a pale appearance. Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool until it is just slightly warm. Using a small bowl filled with powdered sugar that has been sifted, roll the heated cookies and then place them back on the rack.
- Repeat the process of rolling the cookies in the sugar after they have returned to room temperature.