What Causes Excessive Shedding In Dogs: Dogs shed naturally, but it can be frustrating for humans. Most dogs need to shed for skin and fur health. Old or damaged hair is shed by dogs. Dogs shed fur depending on breed, season, and having a single or double coat.
What Causes Excessive Shedding In Dogs
Can I Stop My Dog Shedding?
You can’t stop dogs from shedding. But you can choose a low-shedding dog. There are no hypoallergenic dogs, but some are less problematic. They don’t shed, have human-like hair, and produce less dander than other dogs.
This makes them ideal pets for people with dander or fur allergies. They also make great pets for dog owners who dislike shedding.
- Among these dog breeds
- Afghan Hound Bichon Frise
- Breeds Chinese Crested, Maltese, Schnauzer, Poodle
- Portuguese Water Dog
- This breed, like the poodle, is sought after by dog owners. However, “doodle” mixes may shed. They probably won’t shed as much as other dogs.
How Can I Control Dog Shedding?
Dogs shed, but there are ways to reduce it:
- Brush dog’s coat. Every dog has unique fur. The right brush for their fur is crucial.
- All coat types benefit from bristle brushes. Use long bristles for a longer coat. Stiff brushes work for short-haired dogs.
- Wire-pin brushes are ideal for detangling woolly or curly coats.
- Mat-prone dogs benefit from slicker brushes.
- Any dog’s skin can be massaged with rubber curry combs. Dander, dead skin, and hair are removed by combs. Many dogs enjoy being brushed with a rubber comb, which massages.
Use a shedder. Seasonal or year-round, shedding tools help dogs shed. Dead dog hair can be easily removed with shedding tools before it becomes tumbleweeds in your home. Shedding brushes with stainless steel tines are ideal for removing your dog’s undercoat. A dog shedding tool can remove dead hair before it sheds. A shedding tool can scratch the dog’s skin if used too hard.
Canine diet should be healthy. Good nutrition strengthens your dog’s hair follicles. Undernourished fur sheds less with strong follicles.
Keep your dog hydrated. Doggy water should always be fresh. It keeps their skin hydrated and is vital to their health. Dehydrated skin can cause hair loss.
Bathe your dog often. Bath time keeps your dog clean and removes dead hair before it falls. A de-shedding shampoo can reduce shedding further.
When Should I Worry About Hair Loss?
Some dog breeds shed excessively daily! As a dog owner, watch for seasonal changes in shedding to spot problems.
Extra-shedding hair on your dog may indicate health issues like:
- Fleas, mites, and lice
- Bacteria infections
- Fungal infections
- Food sensitivities
- Kidney disease
- Liver issues
- Adrenal or thyroid issues
- Side effects from drugs
- Stress or anxiety Cancer
- Immune disease
- Topical irritants
- If your dog has excessive scratching, bald patches, inflamed skin, brittle fur, or more hair loss, take him to the vet.
If you like this Aritcle about What Causes Excessive Shedding In Dogs please share this Article with your friends and family members.