Why You Should Give Your Dogs Bully Sticks: Bully sticks for dogs are popular, but what are they? Steer or beef penis! Many people don’t know, and while it may annoy you, your dog won’t care. Why would you buy something like this? Benefits for your dog? Are there risks? This article will discuss the pros and cons of this unusual treat so you can decide if it’s right for your dog.
Why You Should Give Your Dogs Bully Sticks
what is Bully Sticks ?
- Beef or steer penis is stretched and twisted before drying to make bully sticks.
- They are usually dried by dehydration, but sometimes baked or smoked.
- They may have been chemically or irradiated to kill harmful bacteria.
- After drying, they are cut into 6-, 12-, or 30-inch pieces and packaged as dog treats.
Oral Health Benefits of Bull Pizzles
- Dental health is one of the main reasons pet parents use bully sticks.
- Even tough chewers can chew bully sticks for 30 minutes.
- A bully stick may last hours or days for smaller dogs.
- Chewing removes tartar through mechanical abrasion, which is good for teeth.
Mental Health Benefits of Pizzle Sticks
- Additionally, chewing and licking release endorphins, which reduce anxiety and stimulate the mind.
- Bully sticks can help dogs with phobias or separation anxiety.
- Pizzles should be part of a balanced diet.
- As a large percentage of daily calories, they are not a good daily treat.
- Thus, you may want to limit bully sticks to special occasions or one or two per week.
- On bully stick days, give your dog less food in his bowl to offset those calories.
Dogs have stronger stomachs than humans and can tolerate bacterial contamination. It may cause stomach upsets, vomiting, and diarrhoea. This can be avoided by buying bully sticks from reputable companies that process and make dog treats in a clean environment.
Bully sticks are high in calories and contaminated with bacteria. Naturally, ‘all-natural’ products have minimal processing, so harmful bacteria can remain. More processed food is safer from contamination. However, those processes obscure the fact that bully sticks are popular because they are natural.
If you give your dog bully sticks, wash your hands and sanitize where they ate because these bacteria can cause serious illness in young, old, and immune-compromised people.
- When pizzle sticks are swallow able, they’re dangerous.
- They are digestible and shouldn’t cause a problem in the stomach.
- Before reaching the stomach, it can get stuck in the throat, causing serious choking. Therefore, remove the last bit when it gets small.
- Bully sticks are mostly protein, so dogs with beef allergies will suffer.
- Besides these risks, overweight dogs should not be given bully sticks because they are high in calories.
Alternatives to Bully Sticks
Considering buying your dog bully sticks but undecided? Consider these alternatives:
Deer antlers: Chewing them improves dental health, reduces boredom, and calms anxiety. They make great fat-free bully sticks because they’re not eaten.
Ostrich tendons: Ostrich tendons, like bully sticks, are long chews that improve dental health. Protein-rich and long-lasting, they resemble bully sticks.
Raw Meaty Bones (RMBs): A Rutgers University study found that raw meaty bones reduced oral bacteria by 79%, compared to bully sticks’ 60.2%. This will greatly improve your dog’s dental health. Bones can damage and obstruct the intestines. Raw reduces this risk, but it still exists.
Yakers: Himalayan yak milk sticks are compressed blocks that have been smoke-dried for a month. They are natural, durable, and dental-friendly. However, like bully sticks, their fat content makes them unsuitable for overweight dogs.
If you like this Article about Why You Should Give Your Dogs Bully Sticks please share this Article with your friends and family members.